Buttontapper Press is a micro-press run by author Laura Roberts. We publish occasional digital and print-on-demand anthologies of short fiction and essays, as per our editor’s whims. We do not accept unsolicited manuscripts. That means that all current calls for submissions will be listed on this page, and we will ONLY read work sent for specified anthologies.
Please DO NOT send us items that fall outside of our specific calls for submission, as these will be deleted unread.
DO use standard manuscript format for all submissions. DO NOT send previously published works.
Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs
Buttontapper Press is now accepting submissions for its upcoming anthology, Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs, which will feature authors discussing their favorite popular songs.
Criteria for Submission
- Current day pop songs, golden oldies, or anything in between is acceptable
- Describe how your song has influenced your relationships — past, present, or ideal/hypothetical
- Word count = 1,000 words or less
- Format = personal essay, creative nonfiction is acceptable, academic writing style discouraged
- NO quoting of lyrics is allowed; we will not be haggling with songwriters for reprint rights — and all submissions that quote song lyrics will be immediately discarded (paraphrasing and creativity is recommended here)
- DO name the song and artist you reference in your piece
- Humor is strongly encouraged!
- Language should be PG-13, no hardcore sexual descriptions (this is, after all, a collection about LOVE and not SEX)
- NO reprints, NO simultaneous submissions
Payment: Contributors will each receive a digital copy of the book
Projected Publishing Date: Valentine’s Day, 2016
Submission Deadline: May 31, 2015 (midnight PST)
To submit your piece for consideration, please use this form.
Artists/Songs Currently Under Consideration
This list will be updated as submissions roll in. Please check back often to make sure your favorite musician/song hasn’t already been taken! (Or click here to go through a YouTube playlist of all these songs, just for shits & giggles.)
- The Smiths — “Reel Around the Fountain”
- Morrissey — “Dear God, Please Help Me”
- Pansy Division — “Luv Luv Luv”
- Taylor Swift — “Blank Space”
- Jay Ferguson — “Thunder Island”
- The Starting Line — “The Best of Me”
- Townes Van Zandt — “If I Needed You”
- Spice Girls — “Wannabe”
- The Buzzcocks — “Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t’ve)”
- PJ Harvey (featuring Thom Yorke) — “This Mess We’re In”
- The Replacements — “Sadly Beautiful”
- Bonnie Raitt — “Blowin’ Away”
- Something Corporate — “Konstantine”
Need more inspiration? Check out some examples from editor Laura Roberts in the “P is for Pop Songs” category on our blog.
Thanks for your interest in Buttontapper Press, and best of luck!