I read a lot of indie books this year. Like, A TON. Definitely more than last year.
I also made a pretty concerted effort to keep tabs on what I was reading, and when I actually finished my books, with the help of GoodReads.
So when I decided to do a “Year in Review” concerning my reading habits, at first I was worried that I’d read way more terrible books than good ones. I can be a bit of a pessimist (or realist, as you prefer), and bad books do tend to stick out much more in a reader’s mind. Particularly when they employ some, um, “creative” spelling.
Happily, I discovered that once I went through the books I read over the year, categorizing them as “loved” or “hated,” I did have a lot more in my “loved” pile. Hooray!
Out of a total of 97 books read:
- 58 of them received positive ratings
- 23 received negative ratings, and
- 16 inspired feelings of violent “meh!”
Interestingly, I also noticed that many of the books I liked the least were books I was assigned to review. Therefore, I believe I will be taking an indefinite holiday from professional book reviewing, in order to maintain my own reading list—and my personal enjoyment of books.
So tell us what you liked already!
Though I do have plenty of zingers about the books I hated, I’m pretty sure my Facebook followers have already heard them all. So in an effort to remain positive, I’d like to share my list of some of the best books published this year. Books that you’ve probably never even heard of! So, to make a long intro short (too late!), here’s my list of The Best Indie Books I Read in 2012 (listed alphabetically by author):
- Fifty Shades of Alice in Wonderland by Melinda DuChamp (erotica)
- The Pleasure Dial by Jeremy Edwards (erotica)
- My Two Wives and Three Husbands by S. Stanley Gordon (memoir)
- The Girls’ Guide to Dating Zombies by Lynn Messina (women’s fiction)
- Zan (which was actually titled Poke when I read it) by Dalya Moon (YA)
- Inbox Full of Crazy by Chris-Rachael Oseland (memoir)
- The Leap by Blaine Readler (sci-fi)
- Rum Socialism by Kris Romaniuk (memoir)
- Maynard Soloman and the Bull$hit Cancer Awareness Campaign by Benjamin Sobieck (short fiction/humor)
- Memories of a Mombasa Gigolo by Krishna Washburn (erotica)
In the interest of full disclosure…
Yes, I totally linked those books using my Amazon affiliate profile. Yes, some of these books are written by friends of mine. Yes, I did get some of these books as free review copies. And yes, I did actually read AND enjoy all of these books, and posted this without any prompting from any of these authors. (You’re welcome; payment in the form of alcohol is always appreciated.)
What say you?
Have you read any of my picks, and if so, what did you think? What are your favorite books of 2012?